Introduction: The ASEAN Tourism Forum (ATF) is a cooperative regional effort to promote the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) as one tourism destination.
- Single, Multi-faceted destination.
- Highly competitive and attractive region within Asia.
ASEAN Member Countries:
Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Viet Nam.
Each year, the hosting of ATF is rotated among the member countries. ATF was established in 1981. 2020 marks the 39th anniversary of the event.
ATF 2020 Theme:
“ASEAN – TOGETHER TOWARDS A NEXT GENERATION OF TRVAEL “
Tourism Minister Meeting between the Tourism minister of ASEAN Nations and inviting countries, Japan, Republic of Korea, Russia and China.
Formal Official Meetings between ASEAN member countries and other countries.
Association Meetings: with Federation and Associations of Airlines, Hotels, Restaurant, Tourism and Travel Association.
TRAVEX: Buyer-Seller meets where Buyers from all over the world gather to know more about tourism products of ASEAN countries.
Date: 14th to 16th January 2020
Venue: BRIDEX Convention Center
Highlights of the events:
Media Briefing 1: Brunei Tourism by Ms. Salina Saleh, Acting Director of Tourism Brunei
- International Tourist Arrivals are increasing
- National Carrier of Brunei i.e Royal Brunei Airlines is expanding the destinations for more connectivity but no plan for Indian cities.
- More active on Social Media Platforms
- Brunei- China Year of Tourism 2020
- Focus Sector: Eco-Tourism, Community-based Tourism, Islamic Tourism, Sports & Adventure, and Education Tourism.
Media Briefing 2: Ministry of Tourism, Cambodia by Mr. Hoy Phreak
- Focus on Cultural and Geographical diversity, Natural, cultural, Eco-Tourism and Recreational activity
- Expansion of Phnom Penh International Airport.
- ‘Air Asia Cambodia’ to get more tourists.
- Sector: Coastal Tourism, Island Tourism, Festivities
- Achievement: 6% of FTA increased in 2019.
- Vision: 7 Million International Tourists in 2020
- Target Market: China, Japan, India, and other ASEAN countries.
- Upcoming Sector: Gastronomy Tourism and Self- Driving Tours.
ATF 2020 Opening Ceremony:
Welcome Reception & Dinner hosted by Brunei Tourism
His Royal Highness Prince Haji AlMuhtadee Billah, The Crown Prince and Senior Minister at the Prime Minister’s Office this evening officiated the opening of the ATF2020. His Royal Highness was greeted by the Tourism Minister of ASEAN Member countries.
At the exhibit, His Royal Highness was demonstrated on the use of Virtual Reality Technology in travel and was briefed on Digital Technologies for Smart Tourism.
At the opening ceremony, His Royal Highness launched the new ASEAN Tourism website. ASEAN TOURISM
Venue: Indera Samudra Grand Hall, The Empire Brunei
Media Briefing 3: Tourism Authority of Thailand by Mr. Klissada Ratanapruk
Thailand Tourism: Open to the New Shades.
- Achievement: 39 Million FTA in 2019 makes a record.
- Expected to be increased by 2.5% tourist arrivals in 2020.
- The Launch of Michelin Guide for culinary experience from over 281 Thai Restaurants.
- 4th UNWTO World Forum on Gastronomy Tourism.
- Celebrating the 60th Anniversary of Thailand Tourism establishment 1960-2020.
- Next Step towards Sustainable Thailand.
Media Briefing 4: Malaysia Tourism Promotion Board by Datuk Musa Yusof
Malaysia: Truly Asia
- Inbound tourists in Malaysia are the highest among all ASEAN Countries.
- India is on 6th as Inbound Tourism and 5th as Tourist Receipts in Malaysia.
- Target 2020: 30 Million FTAs
- Smart Partnership with Expedia, SHARP, and MI
- Focus Events: KL Biennale 2020, Iftar, May 2020, and Harvest Festival (Sabah)
- Hindu, Chinese, and Malay are the oldest civilisation in the world and will focus on cultural tourism.
- Malay-China Year of Tourism 2020.
- Healthcare Marvel: Medical Tourism
- Visit Truly Asia Malaysia 2020,
- #MalaysiaTrulyAsia #VisitMalaysia2020 #VM2020
Media Briefing 5: Ministry of Information, Culture and Tourism, Laos by Ms. Sengsoda Vanthanouvong
- Priority Sector for Development and Promotion: Natural, Historical, Art and Cultural.
- Focus Sector: Eco-Tourism and Community based Tourism.
- 4 International Airports
- 30 days VISA on arrivals for tourists.
Hosted by Tourism Malaysia
Media Briefing 6: ASEAN Secretariat by Ms. Suvimol Thanasarakij
‘Connecting People Sharing Prosperity’
- ASEAN centers in Japan, China, and Korea
- Focusing on Community Based Tourism
- Connecting People and Sharing Prosperity
- From 1974
Media Briefing 7: Singapore Tourism Board by Mr. Terrence Voon
- Cruise Tourism in Trend
- Upcoming: Air shows
Media Briefing 8: Tourism Promotion Board, the Philippines by Mr. Howard Lance Uyking
- Upcoming destinations: Loron, Manila Bay, El Nido, Siargao.
- Mission SoS: Save our Spots.
Reception & Dinner: Hosted by the Ministry of Tourism, Cambodia
Venue: Indera Samudra Grand Hall, The Empire Brunei
Media Briefing 9: Ministry of Tourism and Creative Economy, Indonesia by Mr. Wisnu Bawa Tarunajaya
- Inbound Tourists from ASEAN, America, and Africa increased in 2019.
- 2 International Airports
- Indonesia Tourism has targeted 500 tourism professionals to be certified and this target has been achieved.
- 5 Super priority destinations: Toba Lake (North Sumatra), Borobudur (Central Java), Mandalika (West Nusa Tenggara), Labuan Bojo (East Nusa Tenggara), and Likupang (North Sulawesi)
Media Briefing 10: Vietnam National Administration of Tourism by Mr. Tran Phong Binh, Dr. Hà Văn Hiếu
- 18 Million International tourists visited Vietnam in 2019 with a 16% increase to 2018.
- Vietnam awarded with
- Asia’s Leading Destination 2019.
- Asia’s Leading Cultural Destination 2019.
- Asia’s Leading Culinary Destination 2019.
- Hoi An, Vietnam- Asia’s Leading Cultural City 2019.
- World’s Leading Heritage Destination 2019.
- World’s Best Golf Destination 2019
- 60 Golf Course to promote Vietnam as Golf Tourism
- Events: Hanoi Formula 1 Grand Prix 2020 and Vietnam Marathon
- ‘Danang: Fantancity’
- ‘No VISA required’ for tourists from 24 countries and e-visa facilities for 80 countries.
Media Briefing 11: Ministry of Hotels and Tourism, Myanmar by Mr. Hla Myint
- Visitor arrival 43,64,101 in 2019 with 23% growth.
- Visa on Arrival to 66 countries including India.
- Introducing New Secondary Destinations
- Upgrading existing websites.
- Launched new branding logo, promotion videos etc
Hosted by Tourism Promotion Board, Philippines
ASEAN Tourism Ministers Press Conference
The 19th Meeting of the Tourism Ministers of ASEAN plus 3 i.e Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, South Korea, Japan, China, Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar and ASEAN Tourism Head sitting in the sequence.
Eco-tourism: Responsible, sustainable and Community based Tourism Malaysia’s First priority
The Philippines has also been working on the Community based Tourism concept for a long time.
ASEAN Head: Instead of slow global growth, ASEAN countries are performing better. We also working on ‘Banning of single used plastics’’
Singapore: ‘Medical Tourism definition is very narrow, We think Wellness is the better term, we are working on it’
ASEAN Tourism Awards Presentation
ATF 2020 Closing Ceremony
Highlights of ATF 2020 TRAVEX exhibition.
ASEAN countries are having diversity in culture, traditions, cuisines, customs, costumes and many more but their soul is simple and generous to the tourists. We should promote ASEAN as one destination which helps these countries to grow better.